Shoe-mounted light meter options?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras' started by theoldsmithy, Aug 3, 2017.

1. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy FF Regular

Feb 4, 2017
    Martin Connolly
    Hi all
    it would be quite nice to get a light meter that fits in the accessory shoe on my Zorki. The only ones I have seen on eBay are pretty expensive. Does anyone know of a cheaper option (say under £50)?

Edit...turns out there are loads of cheap options. I just had to phrase the search correctly!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  2. MoonMind

MoonMind FF Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Switzerland
    Matt
    How? ;)

M.

3. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy FF Regular

Feb 4, 2017
    Martin Connolly
    I was looking for 'hotshoe light meter'...I changed it to 'shoe light meter' and quite a few turned up at bargain basement prices. Some of them even claim to work! I've put a bid in on one of them that looks quite neat.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. MoonMind

Mar 24, 2015
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Thanks for that - seems you are right.

I'm actually think about getting a modern meter of that type - there are three very nice ones, but obviously more expensive than your margin:
    - Sekonic L-208
    - Gossen Digisix 2 (or even Digiflash 2 - including, well, you know what ...)
    - Voigtländer VC Meter II

Of those, the Sekonic is clearly the cheapest, the Voigtländer clearly the most desirable; the most competent, of course, will be the Gossen Digiflash.

But I'm really thinking of the Sekonic because it's sufficiently small and doesn't break the bank. That said, I have handheld meters (two very good ones, one of them the not-too-expensive Sekonic L-308S that usually accompanies meterless cameras - though I hardly ever use it: Sunny 16 ...). For flash and spot, I prefer the Gossen Variosix F - quite old already, but still very, very competent and accurate.

M.

5. kennethcooke

kennethcooke FF Veteran

May 30, 2017
    Leeds, WestRiding, UK
    I bought a Gossen Spotmeter, hand held though, hot she wise, a Leica Meter might fill the bill, I used to have one on the M4 that I owned, however I guess I still enjoy to use my Weston Euromaster from time to time, it's old school but it works and never needs a battery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MoonMind

Mar 24, 2015
    Switzerland
    Matt
    If you can find a working one, the Leicameter models are fantastic - the problem is that those CdS cells degrade over time. The CdS meter in my Zeiss Ikon Contessamatic E works like a charm - so it's possible to find a fully functional one. Curiously, even ones that ceased working seem to fetch $50 on Ebay - go figure ...

N.B. That Weston looks really nice - compact and functional ...

M.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  7. phigmov

phigmov FF Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 23, 2015
    I have a Sekonic 328 as a handheld light meter - its pretty good but I've been experimenting more and more with Sunny 16. I'll take a reading at the beginning of the session and then just adjust manually depending on individual shots. Seems to work well with B&W and Colour Negative - a fair bit of exposure latitude in the film. I meter every single time for Slide-film - very unforgiving!

I came across a DIY light-meter a few years ago - worth printing and stashing in your wallet:
    Sliding Card Exposure Meter

• Informative Informative x 1