Praktica BC1

Discussion in '35mm Cameras' started by Aushiker, May 25, 2015.

1. Aushiker

Aushiker FF Rookie

May 25, 2015
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    Hi

Snuck over from the Mu-43 forums as I am seeking information and thoughts on a Praktica BC1 which has popped up locally on eBay. It is being sold with few extra lenses as detailed below.

50mm 1.8 Prakticar
    28mm 2.8 Prakticar
    70-210 4.5-5.6 Prakticar
    35-70mm 3.5-4.5 Prakticar
    Assorted filters inc. polariser
    Flash
    2 lens hoods

Apparently it is a German made version of the camera.

Worth bidding for? I have no experience with film cameras but would like to explore this area a bit more hence the interest this camera.

Thanks
    Andrew

2. phigmov

phigmov FF Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 23, 2015
    I've never used one but I've been slightly wary of Eastern Bloc cameras - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praktica - particularly when decent quality film cameras are generally pretty cheap anyway.

I guess ultimately it depends on your budget and what you want out of the camera.
    If I were starting on a budget, I'd stick with the name brands (Canon, Olympus, Pentax or Nikon) -

* Pentax K1000 for a cheap all manual SLR (or a Nikon FM if you have a little more $$)
    * Nikon FE or Olympus OM-2 are reasonably priced and have aperture priority ability with an electronic shutter
    * Olympus Trip 35 for a cheap and simple zone focus automatic metering camera
    * Olympus Mju for a super-compact pocket camera - pretty much auto-everything

You can also pick up full-auto cameras cheap too - Canon EOS & Nikon F50/60 etc - and use modern AF lenses and modern exposure.

3. RichardB

RichardB Super Moderator

Mar 23, 2015
    Maryland, US
    That looks like a pretty complete kit. Praktica is part of the venerable Zeiss/Contax/Pentacon family, so I wouldn't worry about the brand. My main worry for any camera of that age is whether the electronics work, and that question is often answered by whether the battery compartment shows signs of a corrosive leak. Problems are even more common in flashes than cameras because their batteries are leakier. Even if the seller is genuinely ignorant of the equipment's condition, and doesn't have the correct batteries to test it, he can tell you whether the battery compartments are clean. Ebay is pretty good about allowing returns as long as the item's condition is described as Used (not Parts) and the seller doesn't have an as-is condition disclaimer.

Good luck with your purchase, and please share your experience with your camera as well as your photos.

Richard

4. Aushiker

Aushiker FF Rookie

May 25, 2015
    Andrew
    Thanks for the feedback. For anyone interested, the eBay offering is here. The seller appears on the face of it to be quite informed and detailed in his or her listing. There is also a bit more technical information on the camera available at Mike's Praktica Home.

I will put a small bid in for it and see how it plays out. I have also sent the seller a message seeking details on the battery compartments conditons. In the meantime I will keep an eye out for the models suggested by @phigmov@phigmov.

Regards
    Andrew

5. RichardB

RichardB Super Moderator

Mar 23, 2015
    Maryland, US
    The ad says the meter is accurate, so that answers my big question. Good luck in the auction!

6. Aushiker

Aushiker FF Rookie

May 25, 2015
    Andrew
    Thanks. That is good to know. The seller has also advised that the battery compartments are clear of corrosion. The response was:

Andrew

7. Aushiker

Aushiker FF Rookie

May 25, 2015
    Andrew
    Just a quick update ... I was too much of cheapskate and missed out, not by much mind you.

Andrew