Potential Film Developing Problems

Discussion in 'Film Developing / Chemistry' started by jai, Apr 9, 2015.

1. jai

jai FF Regular

Apr 8, 2015
    I started developing my own black and white film earlier this year. I’ve ran in to several issues, and it is not easy to put in to googlable words what the problem is.
    Eventually I stumbled on this list and it has been incredibly helpful so far: http://www.ohio.edu/people/schneidw/darkroom/film_developing_problems.html

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Mijo

Mijo FF Regular

Mar 25, 2015
    San Francisco
    Mario
    I returned to developing my own film about 2 years ago and I've run into both situations. All things being equal (i.e. temperature, time, chemistry, etc.) I find my problem is due to operator error, not getting the exposure right when I release the shutter. IMO, in both situations you can still get a decent print but I actually find it harder to get a decent print when the negative is too dense (aka as bulletproof). Dodging / burning and masking can help with a negative that's either too thin or bulletproof but it's hard to get consistent prints if your making more than one print of the same negative.

Having said all that, I've learned from one of my darkroom Instructors that some times it's just not worth the time and effort to try and print from a incorrectly exposed negative. There's nothing more frustrating than wasting time, paper and effort trying to pull details out of a negative that are barely even there to begin with.

3. jai

jai FF Regular

Apr 8, 2015
    There is another processing error that isn't in that list (I must have read it somewhere else) but did happen to me a couple of times before I figured it out.

If the unexposed areas of the film (like around sprocket holes) are milky and not clear, the problem is not enough fixing time. And you can actually fix (see what I did there) the issue by putting it back in the fixer. Follow the process from there again as normal. Be careful not to over do it, or you will end up with thin negatives.

4. Mijo

Mijo FF Regular

Mar 25, 2015
    San Francisco
    Mario
    I've run into that issue before but it's not always due to under fixing. Most of the time when that happens to me it's b/c the film isn't loaded onto the reel correctly and negatives at the begining or end are bunched up and not getting exposed to the chemistry enough (the sprocket holes are only milky at the begining and end).

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1