Pentax zoom 70-X and a Canon AT-1

Discussion in '35mm Cameras' started by Aushiker, May 25, 2015.

1. Aushiker

Aushiker FF Rookie

May 25, 2015
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    Having posted earlier today on the Praktica BC1 I recalled that my partner had a few cameras in various drawers and cupboards. I little hunt brought a couple of cameras worthy of further exploring.

One is an Canon AT-1 with a Canon FD 50 mm f/1.8 lens. I think this might be past its used by date but as the battery compartment door will not lock in place, the mirror is in serious need of a clean and it appears that a seal inside the camera is crumbling. Anyway I might try and source a battery and see what happens.

The lens was of interest for use on my OM-D EM-1 with an adapter but alas it seems to have also seen better days.
    Turning the aperture ring does move the leaves within the lens so I guess that is not a good sign or am I missing something here?

The other camera which appears to be working is a Pentax zoom 70-X which has a 35 to 70 mm zoom with macro f/3.5 - 6.7.

I have a little about the Pentax at Photo.net and at Pentax Film and Shoot but that is about it. Anyone have more information on the camera?

I will track down some film and have a play with it anyway.

Andrew

2. dwig

dwig New to FF

Mar 30, 2015
    Key West FL
    The door problem is a chronic issue with the Canon AE-1, AT-1, A-1 and similar. It is annoying but doesn't affect the camera's functionality.

You're missing something. The Canon lenses, like many lenses, default to the open/viewing mode (iris stays open regardless of the f/stop ring position) and only closes down when the auto-diaphram coupling is pushed. The Canon FD mount also prevents the stopdown when the mount is in the Open (read: off camera) mode. You have to close the mount to simulate the lens mounted on a camera before the iris will actually close when the lever is moved.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Aushiker

Aushiker FF Rookie

May 25, 2015
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    Happy to be missing something given your news. I await my adapter to give it a try out.

Thanks
    Andrew