Organizing Negatives

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Mijo, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Mijo

Mijo FF Regular

Mar 25, 2015
    San Francisco
    Mario
    I realize that how one organizes their negatives is completely subjective, but I'm interested in hearing how members are organizing theirs. Since returning to film a couple of years ago, I've been using Print File Archival sleeves and 1" three ring binders. The sleeves within the binders are organized chronologically, however I started a separate binder for family events to make it easier to find those negatives. Each sleeve is ussually titled with the event(s) or location of the shoot and the date (if I can remember) or at the very least the year.

Up until the begining of 2015 I was averaging about 1-1.5 binders per year, but yesterday I started my third binder for 2015. It occured to me yesterday that if I continue at this pace for several more years I'm going to need a better system for organizing my negatives or it's going to be very difficult finding a specific negative that I want to print. The other problem is that my current system relies heavily on my memory as to when the image was actually taken as the starting point of any search (my memory is questionable now, it's only going to get worse).

I'm sure that there are members of this forum that have small libraries in their homes filled with decades of negatives. I'd love to hear how some of you are organzing your negatives, so that I can incorporate your efficiencies (and claim them as my own).

2. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx FF Rookie

Apr 8, 2015
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    I've only been shooting with film since the beginning of this year so I dont have much to store compared to others that have been shooting film for years. All my negatives are still in the paper envelopes that I picked them up in when I get them developed. I'll write notes on the envelopes to help me recognize what pictures they are then I throw them in a small shoe box that I store in my closet. I'll probably have to figure out a better system once I have multiple boxes filled with film... but for now.. this works.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Mijo

Mijo FF Regular

Mar 25, 2015
    San Francisco
    Mario
    John - that's the same system my father used. My parents moved into a new house last year and as I was helping them pack, I started to look through some of the envelopes in the shoe boxes. The negatives didn't match the pictures in the envelopes. His slides were even worst, little rectangular plastic boxes filled with slides with no apparent organizational system in place.