Olympus Pen FV

Discussion in '35mm Cameras' started by phigmov, Oct 20, 2016.

1. phigmov

phigmov FF Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 23, 2015
    To go with my FT, the slightly rarer FV, no meter but supposedly a brighter viewfinder. Love the green-leatherette finish - quite a pleasant surprise.

Looking forward to running some film through this.

I have to say - new found respect for the Japanese postal service - it arrived faster than stuff shipped within my own country (the Swiss & Irish also seem very speedy!)

O6J0P0dvOl8SKmj-mqV3TSiIgxMuA2tWM5DPKMrp-qC3IKipvMPqwVWzjQcWYXJie0RVeZVfpVHla4rusg=w740-h1084-no.

• Like Like x 3
  2. MoonMind

MoonMind FF Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Switzerland
    Matt
    The PEN FT is one of my favourite cameras - and the FV does away with the only gripe I have at times (apart from the viewfinder that can indeed be a bit murky): the somewhat capricious meter. That said, I still appreciate that the FT has one on board - but make sure to report how the camera feels in use; I have found my Leica CL to offer a quite pleasant way of use when the batteries are empty (well, I had to learn the hard way - because it went dead after the first three frames).

M.

• Like Like x 1
  3. phigmov

phigmov FF Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Yes - it took me awhile to realise the metering wasn't quite right due to the different voltages between the older/newer cells - always made me take a couple of frames either side just in case. I think at that point I realised I'd stick mostly to B&W on the older cameras (much more exposure lattitude & graininess/strong-black adds character even if you're completely off) and look to get more of the meterless models from that era. Although I certainly breathe a little sigh of relief when I get to use something more modern with the extra bells & whistles (aperture priority / solid metering) like the OM-4T, Nikon FE/FM or F100.

Next, I'm on the look out for a quality Pen F - that gothic 'F' etched into the front is beautiful :)

• Agree Agree x 1