Olympus 35SP image thread

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Lawrence A., Mar 24, 2015.

1. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FF Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Larry
    Since acquiring this camera about a year ago, it has rapidly become my favorite film shooter. It sports a tack sharp 7 element 42mm f1.7 lens, a spot meter years before the OM-4 (though it doesn't do multi spot averaging) and operates in shutter priority or manual. The EV numbers for metering may be offputting if you have never used them, but are really simplicity itself. One of Olympus' very finest efforts -- and there are a lot of good ones!

Image13-L.

SP%20fp4%2020%20copy-L.

SP%20fp4%2008%20copy-L.

SP%20fp4%2006-L.

Ending%20Up-L.

SP%20ac%20ilf3%20SP15-L.

SP%20ac%20ilf3%20SP24-L.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  2. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FF Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Larry
    Thanks for the feature, Amin. The camera really deserves any positive attention it gets, a wonderful machine today and remarkable for its time. The lens is a wonder. If I didn't have the SP, I'd want the 40mm OM lens you just acquired; there's something about that focal length that is "just right".

Thanks, too, for starting this forum. It looks like it is off to a good start.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. RichardB

RichardB Super Moderator

Mar 23, 2015
    Maryland, US
    Another 35 SP fan here. It has a wonderful lens, as we'd expect. Here's a sample shot on Kodak Gold 400:

31720004.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  4. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FF Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Larry
    Yes, an amazingly good lens!

5. phigmov

phigmov FF Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Fuji Pro 800z - nice lens and rangefinder patch. I was surprised when I got it, how chunky it was - felt bigger than my OM-1.

00550005.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FF Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Larry
    Yes, it's definitely a substantial piece of kit. The 35RC, another nice Olympus rangefinder, is diminutive beside it. I sold the latter. Despite its size advantages over the SP, it was the SP I always wanted to take. Still, I wish I'd kept it. The whole series of 35mm fixed lens rangefinders from Olympus were quite wonderful. The SP is the jewel in the crown, I think, but the RC and RD are both very good. And it all ended with the quirky, adorable, capable, and addictively fun XA -- in every way the opposite to the hefty and magisterial SP.

7. ks11

ks11 New to FF

Mar 24, 2015
    tumblr_nlgozpvQYV1ttze3po1_1280.
    it is a lovely lens.....

• Like Like x 3
  8. SnapDawg

SnapDawg FF Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Canary Islands
    Ken
    A nice set of images, Larry. I like the one of the burger joint most; reminds me of my time in the US.
    I owned an SP many years ago, when I started developing film and before I hopelessly fell in love with 35mm FOV. I guess it's still a great camera for a lot of things but I wish the lens would be a tad wider.

9. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FF Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Larry
    I think the 42mm is just about perfect. But I loved the Sigma DP2 Merrill and its 45mm lens too. 42mm is really an almost perfect "normal" for the film format, according to the definition (for what it's worth) of the diagonal of the frame equals "normal". Normal in truth is what you like, and for me the 42 is just right. There's another shot with this camera, part of a run down cemetery I'm trying to document.

SP%20Tmax30-L.

10. Wongler

Wongler FF Rookie

Apr 8, 2015
    Bethesda, MD
    I just recently picked up a 35SP myself. I had to do a bit of "surgery" to fix a loose lens and a broken rewind lever screw but i'm excited to get to shoot it now. Some of the longer shutter speeds on mine sound a bit extra long but I don't really plan on going slower than 1/15 anyway.
    I wish the light meter was in a different location, I don't like having to use the ready case all the time to save the battery.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FF Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Larry
    Enjoy your 35SP! I wouldn't worry about the battery too much. I keep mine in the dark when I'm not using it, but if I'm out with it, I don't feel like I have to take it in and out of the case of every shot. I use the zinc air 675 1.4 volt hearing aid batteries, which are cheap, and my exposures are consistently good. I don't know if anyone adapted the circuitry before I bought it, but I doubt it. You need a spacer to maintain contact, but otherwise the batteries work flawlessly for me.

I can't sing the praises of this camera enough. I know some hate metering manually with it, as you have to take the EV reading and then look on the lens to adjust it, but I always checked my shutter speed and aperture on the camera when I shot an OM-1, a center the needle SLR. For my money, it's dreamy simple.

My favorite digital shooter is fast becoming the Leica X1 - a no nonsense still shooter whose very simplicity makes it such a joy to shoot.