Nikon 24-120mm AF-D Query

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by phigmov, Oct 13, 2016.

1. phigmov

phigmov FF Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Hi all,

I've seen a few of these crop up for sale and I'm interested in supplementing my 28-105 (which I love).

It seems like a fantastic range in a relatively compact form; unfortunately most of the reviews seem to pan the lens incl its later VR variant, however the very latest f4 fixed aperture seems to fare better but its pricey. Reviews seem to go along the lines of: very versatile but with poor performance & distortion/softness at the extremities.

I'd probably use the lens on my F100 and occassionally D700.

Any forumites have experiences with the lens ? Does the versatility outweigh the optical issues ? Would I be better off with my trusty 28-105 and just getting a wide-prime ?

2. MoonMind

MoonMind FF Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Switzerland
    Matt
    The older AF-D lens (that's the first variable aperture one, right?) is a bit of a dog to be honest; I came by one when my father tossed his F50 my way a couple of years ago. Other than convenience, it doesn't offer a lot of desirable characteristics - though it is really quite compact (about half the bulk of the Sigma 24-105 f/4 I use on my D750).

However, optically, I really can't recommend it over other lenses of its kind; even my somewhat dubious Tokina 24-200mm appears competitive in that respect. IMO, both the F100 and the D700 deserve better ... If the 28-105mm is a decent performer, why not add the 24mm f/2.8D - that's a nice lens, and it's small enough to slip into some corner in any bag.

M.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. phigmov

phigmov FF Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Thanks Matt - great advice - I'll keep an eye out for a decent wide prime.

4. José

José FF Regular

Mar 25, 2015
    I've only had the first VR version and uses it on a D700. I really like the color and at least on the center was quite sharp. I'm no pixel peeper, but I believe on the corners it wouldn't look very nice. I'm just on my phone, hard to find the proper link to some pictures I've got on Flickr with that combo, but please browse my (jssaraiva) Flickr if that would interest you.

Still, if you have the 28-105, I also recommend the 24/2.8.

• Like Like x 1