Mamiya 6 MF

Discussion in 'Medium and Large Format Cameras' started by MoonMind, Jun 13, 2015.

1. MoonMind

MoonMind FF Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Switzerland
    Matt
    This is the camera I always dreamed about when film was still ruling - so, a bit late to the party, but still going strong. The film's Kodak Ektar 100 ...

17823103076_148b1911e8_c.
    preparing for spring, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  2. Mijo

Mijo FF Regular

Mar 25, 2015
    San Francisco
    Mario
    Congrats on the Mamiya 6. My local shop (Glass Key in SF) has a one with the 75mm going for ~$1400.

3. MoonMind

Mar 24, 2015
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Mario: That's a decent price if the camera is in good shape - still, it's a considerable amount of money. But so far, when it comes to film, nothing matches the sublime shooting experience I get with this camera. Admittedly, I like my nifty little Olympus PEN FT almost as well when it comes to shooting - but the Mamiya is miles ahead in terms of IQ.

M.

4. Mijo

Mijo FF Regular

Mar 25, 2015
    San Francisco
    Mario
    Matt - The camera's in really good shape and I've been thinking about it ever since I saw it. The shop owner mentioned that the lenses for the 7 are not compatible with the 6, which is a big draw back for me as the 7 has some wide lenses that the 6 doesn't. If I got into MF, it would be mainly for landscape so not having access to those wider lenses for the 7 makes me want to hold out for a used 7.

5. MoonMind

Mar 24, 2015
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I see. I use the Mamiya 6 more or less as a general purpose camera - thus, the 75mm suits me just fine. But I see your point. On the other hand, the 50mm for the 6 has an excellent reputation - it's just not ultra-wide. But if landscapes is a prime subject, I'd actually consider the 7, too.

Just a little tip: JapanCameraHunter (Bellamy Hunt - http://japancamerahunter.com) got me my 6 for a fair price - and it's in great overall condition. It's a bit strange to get a camera all the way from Japan, but to me, it was worth it considering the outcome. He'll look for the camera/lens combo of your dreams if you ask directly!

M.

6. MoonMind

Mar 24, 2015
    Switzerland
    Matt