Kodak revives Ektachrome at CES 2017

Discussion in 'Color Film Discussion' started by phigmov, Jan 6, 2017.

1. phigmov

phigmov FF Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Interesting to see Kodak is bringing back Ektachrome -

Kodak Brings Back a Classic with EKTACHROME Film | CES 2017 Press Release | Kodak

Wonder if its the video rather than the stills that is driving this ?
    Cost to develop slide film and the low exposure tolerance isn't necessarily the type of thing to attract new customers and keep them engaged. I hope they've crunched the numbers properly. I guess if they haven't actually dismantled the production lines it should be straightforward to recommission a production line and the capital investment in equipment has long since been recouped.

Maybe Kodachrome next ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  2. José

José FF Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 25, 2015
    I thought it was that, on the moment I saw the news for the very first time. Still a great sign to see Ektachrome returning, but I believe for 35mm we had already relatively close options, Kodachrome would really be something else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. phigmov

Mar 23, 2015
    The appeal to nostalgia coupled with the rediscovery of ancient formats (vinyl, dead-tree books, film etc) makes for quite a nice video. The shots at the tail end look great - certainly a very different feel to Velvia.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 480sparky

480sparky FF Regular

Nov 20, 2015
    Ken

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. phigmov

Mar 23, 2015
    The Kodachrome vs Ektachrome discussion (as part of a talk about their Super 8 camera) - looks like Kodak has been pondering this too

The return of an icon: Will Kodak bring back Kodachrome?

Good to hear them joking about freeing up photogs freezer space for those currently hoarding Ektachrome :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. phigmov

Mar 23, 2015
    Another one - article from Time, Kodak bringing back more film.
    Love the interview/video with the guy who worked at Kodak demonstrating a digital camera to the board in 1976 or the project that bought an mp3 player with a build in camera to market before the iPod.

Kodak Wants to Bring Back More Films