Fuji Fuji New Rangefinder form!

No announcement on price and with an "early 2011" estimate, remember that these things tend to get delayed. Notable specs include a fixed 23mm (x1.5 = "35mm" FOV) f/2 lens, 1.44-million-dot electric viewfinder, 5 frames-per-second burst mode, 1/4000s max shutter speed, and built-in 3-stop ND filter.

From DPReview:
Code:
Sensor			APS-C CMOS sensor
			12.3 million pixels

Movie clips		1280 x 720 pixels (HD)
			with stereo sound

Lens			Fujinon lens with Super EBC Coating
			F2-F16
			Focal length : 23mm (35mm equivalent)
			9-bladed aperture diaphragm
			10 cm minimum focus
			Built-in 3 stop ND filter

Focus			High-speed contrast AF

ISO sensitivity		ISO 200
			ISO 400
			ISO 800
			ISO 1600
			ISO 3200
			ISO 6400
			(ISO 100 - 128000 in expandable mode)

Shutter speed		30 sec. to 1/4000 sec

Exposure Modes		Programmed AE
			Aperture Priority
			Shutter-Priority
			Manual

Continuous shooting	5 fps

Optical Viewfinder	0.5X magnification with approx. 90% frame coverage

Electronic Viewfinder	Ultrafine 1,440,000-dot LCD

LCD monitor		2.8-inch
			approx. 460,0000 dots

Storage			SD / SDHC / SDXC memory card

Dimensions		127(W) × 75(H) × 54(D) mm

Now thats what I call a serious compact ;-)
I'm in love with its looks. I'd guess that it's cheaper than an X1, as it doesnt have a red dot ;-) so if the IQ isn't too far off, Fuji will have a winner.
have to say I'm still waiting for my interchangeable lens rangefinder-look-a-like camera with AF and built in VF though

Wow !!!! And this is just BEFORE the Photokina opens up ....! This certainly is a camera to wait for it to become commercially available. With a hybrid viewfinder like that, though, I would like to see someone "crazy" enough to design a compact camera WITHOUT any LCD at all !! That would save bulk, money and weight. And make the camera much more portable (=scratch-proof). Whereupon, I would bet serious compact lovers would not regret the LCD at all !! Am I wrong ?

After seeing the pictures of the camera and reading the announcement I am quite sure, that this might be my next camera. I like its simplicity very much and also that its optical finder is integrated and no external device, which can be lost easily and does not fit in small bags anymore.

OH MY LORD!!! What a great looking camera! Very retro, looks like something from the 70's but with new technology. I love the dials on to (Laica X1 style!) and the EVF looks pretty stunning. With an APS-C sensor this could be one hell of a great camera! and could be my next purchase!!:D

The GF2 (when it finally arrives) had better step up to the mark if it wants to keep a large share of the market.

Anyone care to predict the on line purchase price of the X100? I predict £800

X100 Price

Looking at the video and the pdf this is starting to look expensive! You may be right with around £800. Surely they would bring it out at less than the X1 price, which it seems to be aimed directly at, but if they are serious about the quality then it won't be cheap.

Like others I'm sure, I was surprised by its announcement and pleasantly so. If it "does what it says on the tin" then I'd love one.

Looking at the video and the pdf this is starting to look expensive! You may be right with around £800. Surely they would bring it out at less than the X1 price, which it seems to be aimed directly at, but if they are serious about the quality then it won't be cheap.

Like others I'm sure, I was surprised by its announcement and pleasantly so. If it "does what it says on the tin" then I'd love one.

The price I'm estimating is based on the price reducing after it has been out a few months. Launch price i see at nearer £1000

Marcus - I'd prefer a swivel LCD. The swivel screen on the Samsung EX1 can be turned around so that it doesn't get scratched when inside a bag or pocket. With a compact camera this large and expensive, eliminating the LCD wouldn't be much smaller or save much money.

As for the price, my guess is $1299 US. If they sell it for less than $1000, they are going to have major supply issues. I've been reading a lot of discussions and people are hoping for $500 or even less. They are going to be very disappointed.

The price will be lower than the price of the Leica X1, but I don't expect a big difference. The specification of this camera and the target audience mentioned in the press release indicate this to be a rather expensive camera.

Very beautiful camera but is it really a fixed lens only? That would be a bit disappointing. A bit of a sheep in wolf's clothing!

Yep it's fixed lens only. It all comes down to image quality and the fact that 35mm is what the target customer is used to/wanting. The Leica X1 is £1350 here in the uk and has a fixed 24mm lens and is not brimming with special features, in fact it's a very basic camera but it's superbly built and creates stunning images and there is a market for it. I'm guessing many buy it just because it's Leica so the Fuji will have to be cheaper to get buyers as it's not a Leica. If it were the same price most would buy the Leica....because it's a Leica, I know I would!

It's going to be a very interesting camera and I can't wait to read the reviews and see image examples.

Back