Kiev 88/88cm

Discussion in 'Medium and Large Format Cameras' started by VinVin, Jul 6, 2015.

1. VinVin

VinVin New to FF

Jul 6, 2015
    Kevin
    Hi guys,

Just ordered a full kiev 88 set and an 88cm redone by hartblei. Dunno if anyone has any experience. Going by whats online its a lot of mixed reviews. Maybe i should have just gotten a hasselblad 500cm...

Anyways, wish me luck... should get to me within the next 2 weeks...

• Like Like x 2
  2. VinVin

VinVin New to FF

Jul 6, 2015
    Kevin
    So the Kiev 88 kit came in. Everything looks to be pretty solid, the horrible smell that people keep talking about doesn't seem to exist, and now I'm looking for the battery for the TTL prism-finder. This is the copy with the metal shutter. I need to get some film, or rather take some film out of the freezer and try it out for light leaks, which apparently is a thing with this camera.

Anyways, does anyone here have any experience with these Kiev medium format cameras? Any input or advice would be much appreciated!

• Like Like x 1
  3. VinVin

VinVin New to FF

Jul 6, 2015
    Kevin
    Here is a picture i posted on instagram of the camera itself.
    cd72d9010e05811bb68e1544d96147ad.

The kit itself consists of:

Kiev 88 Body
    2x Film Backs
    80mm f2.8 Arsat Lens
    2 filters
    Lens hood
    TTL Prism-finder
    Waist Level Finder
    and OEM leather case

• Like Like x 3
  4. Qppoiz

Qppoiz FF Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    I remember watching this when I was looking at the Kiev 88. Apparently you can avoid any possible frame spacing issues by advancing the film in a single, continuous motion. Here's the vid:

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. VinVin

VinVin New to FF

Jul 6, 2015
    Kevin
    Thanks! I will keep that in mind! I'm really excited to try out this camera... and kind of anxious too because of all the mixed reviews... hopefully i'll have a good experience with it!

6. Qppoiz

Qppoiz FF Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    I think all cameras get mixed reviews. It's really a matter of whether you work well with the camera and vice versa. I bought an Olympus XA a while back because everyone raved about the optics and what-not....well, I sold it cause I just never quite boded with it. Instead I enjoy my Leica clone/unreliable doorstop/smelly reminder of the Cold War/Fed 2 much more!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1