It's a sickness . . .

Discussion in '35mm Cameras' started by tonyturley, Sep 2, 2015.

1. tonyturley

tonyturley FF Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Tony
    I was looking at my camera collection last night, and realized I have developed a liking for old film cameras. Maybe not as much as some of you, but my shelf is getting full. Another one is on the way, an Olympus Pen D3. That's 2 this week . . . yikes. Here's the little beastie. Now, about that Konica Hexar RF . . . :D

TT

Pen D3.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  2. MoonMind

MoonMind FF Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I hear you ... I just placed a bid for another interesting lens I've always wanted. And for whatever reason, whenever I visit my favourite auction site, my fingers utter "Mamiya" into the search box on their own accord :rolleyes:

M.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jwm3rdmill

jwm3rdmill New to FF

Jan 30, 2016
    I have the same ailment, but you can get such awesome deals on film cameras, incredibly good shape at dirt cheap prices. I figure I average a dozen film cameras at any given time. I try and unload them but end up finding another good deal and can't help myself. I also keep stocking up on film. I rationalize I can't run out of film. I think I could shoot everyday for 18 months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  4. phigmov

phigmov FF Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 23, 2015
    I'm trying to avoid the temptation to get a Nikon F with a prism viewfinder. This is being fuelled by seeing a 'Panda' - someone had put a black viewfinder on a silver body (or vice versa) - it looked amazing. I was almost drooling into the keyboard.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jwm3rdmill

jwm3rdmill New to FF

Jan 30, 2016
    Last week I saw a mint Nikon F2AS Photomic black. I worked in a camera shop in the 70's and wanted one so bad but they were out of my price range even with my employee discount. But the feel of that era of Nikon camera is something I miss. I love holding a fine piece of machinery in my hands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. MoonMind

MoonMind FF Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Uhm... Added a Leica CL with 40mm and 90mm lenses ... just couldn't resist the tug ... It's not GAS. It's worse ... :D

M.

• Like Like x 4
  7. PaulJ

PaulJ FF Rookie

Feb 22, 2016
    I started photographing at 13 in 1974. At the time, I could afford very little. When I started work, the Oly OM range was all the rage and I ended up with an OM1n and OM2n and shot weddings and portraits as a second income. the stuff I lusted for was still well out of my financial reach.

Years went by and I bought second-hand this and that but the advent and popularity of digital caused film gear prices to crash (in relative terms). The last 10 years has seen me on a GAS extravaganza but, of late, I've been in remission and started to consolidate and distil my gear down to what I can actually use. I'm no collector and, personally, see no point having cameras as paper-weights.

Anyway, GAS is a sickness but it can be cured - or grown out of :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. tonyturley

tonyturley FF Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Tony
    I have bought and sold a lot of cameras over the past few years. The Pen D3 with which I started this thread has been sold. I've been planning a major Spring cleaning. A couple of my cameras I think will fetch decent $$, but I'm tempted to box the rest up and just donate it all . . . but to whom?

9. PaulJ

PaulJ FF Rookie

Feb 22, 2016
    Hi Tony,

I'm not sure where you're based but, in the UK, many schools and colleges are still teaching photography using film as getting good quality equipment has never been more cost-effective. Therefore, if it were my gear, I'd look at that as a first option.

Charity shops can be a bit hit and miss. I've donated a few items this way in the past but I've always suggested a price point they should seek to achieve as, if I care about the charity, I'd hate to see the kit completely undersold.

Then there's family / friends. Do you know anyone that wants to take up film photography? Retro is very cool at the moment and, in the UK at least, there are plenty of places to get film processed / scanned.

You could always sell it at a camera fair / boot sale. It may not be a great earner but it can be fun.....

10. tonyturley

tonyturley FF Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Tony
    Thanks for your suggestions, Paul. I don't know anyone else that's interested in film; unfortunately, most of the people I know pull out their iPhone or Galaxy to snap photos. Here in my little corner of the US, I rarely see anyone out and about with any other kind of camera. I'll look into the other suggestions.

Tony