Hi!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Mijo, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Mijo

Mijo FF Regular

Mar 25, 2015
    San Francisco
    Mario
    My name is Mijo and I'm addicted to film. It started in high school and college, then I switched to digital when it was cool. A couple of years ago I came back to film when I discovered a community dark room a few blocks from my apartment. I currently only have one film camera, Leica MP with a Leicavit.

I shoot film with the firm intent of printing and not scanning, so I doubt I'll be posting any pictures on this forum (unless I start using the digital lab). I shoot digital in tandem with analogue but mainly reserve film for images that are extremely personal to me (i.e. family, friends, vacations).

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. edwardconde

edwardconde FF Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Edward Conde
    Hey Mijo! Welcome..

• Like Like x 1
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Mar 22, 2015
    Amin Sabet
    Welcome, Mijo! I hope we can persuade you to post some film pics here eventually :).

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FF Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Larry
    Welcome. Scan your prints and then post them??

5. Mijo

Mijo FF Regular

Mar 25, 2015
    San Francisco
    Mario
    It's funny b/c when I joined the darkroom there was only 2-3 members that would be in the darkroom with me at any given time, most members were in the digital lab. Lately the darkroom has seen more action than the lab, there's been a few times were I just left w/o printing as all of my favorite enlargers were occupied. I was actually thinking that the next time that happens, I'd just go into the digital lab and scan in some negatives.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ChrisBail

ChrisBail New to FF

Mar 26, 2015
    Chris Bail
    Hi Mijo. I'm new here too. I shoot a variety of film cameras. In my bag right now is my Nikon S2 and a new-to-me Hasselblad XPan with the 45mm.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wongler

Wongler FF Rookie

Apr 8, 2015
    Bethesda, MD
    Welcome! I hope to see some scans also.

8. Mijo

Mijo FF Regular

Mar 25, 2015
    San Francisco
    Mario
    I recently attended a film class where the instructor discussed scanning in traditional prints as opposed to the negatives. he suggested that would reduce or eliminate the need to PP the digital file. That sounds like a much better workflow, for me.

9. RichardB

RichardB Super Moderator

Mar 23, 2015
    Maryland, US
    That's how I used to do it, before I had a film scanner, when I wanted to e-mail a photo to someone or post it on the web. My Stylus Epic samples were scanned from prints, and I think it helps make the images look like prints, which people often equate with looking like film.

I like the idea of digitizing the negative because it is the source of the image and it's not affected by any shortcomings in the printing process. In practice, though, prints often look very good and scanning them can save time and trouble.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1