Hacked Instax

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by phigmov, May 31, 2015.

1. phigmov

phigmov FF Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 23, 2015
  2. RichardB

RichardB Super Moderator

Mar 23, 2015
    Maryland, US
    I wish the article had sample photos. I have doubts about whether a better lens can make much difference on Instax Mini film. Also, why waste a 4" x 5" lens to expose a 46mm x 62mm image? A medium format lens would be a closer fit, but I guess a hacker uses the parts that he has lying around.

3. trisberg

trisberg FF Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Thomas Risberg
    I'd love to see an Instax back for Hasselblad V system, seems like a good fit.

-Thomas

4. phigmov

phigmov FF Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 23, 2015
    It almost looks April Fools-ish. I guess if you have access to the right spare bits and suitable tools (or $$$), anything is possible.

5. Jloden

Jloden FF Rookie

Apr 4, 2015
    Jay Loden
    I've also seen a workaround to expose Instax film in a Rolleiflex or other TLR with a polaroid back, and polaroidconversions.com offers conversions of Polaroid cameras to use Instax films.

To my mind the bigger benefit rather than a better lens is regaining manual exposure control. I enjoy instant prints and use Instax wide and mini (with an SP-1 printer) quite a bit. The "problem" with the Instax cameras is they're fixed focus, fixed aperture (f/14 at least in the case of my Instax 210), and automatic flash. Personally I'd love a manual-exposure Instax camera that has facility for on and off camera flash synchronization.