Contradiction

Pixel peeping's ok. Last century, I used to process my negs (negatives) and after they dried, I'd grain peep the heck out of them. I'd look for sharpness, grain...exposure stuff...all sorts of things to keep me occupied.
I'd print the negs, dry them, then grain peep the print for dust spots, scratches, whatever......
All this happened after the fact of using the camera.

I kinda teach a method of process. The 1st part is vision. Vision and intent before exposure. Then we get into the camera and go out and make images. We try to get into a zone of awareness of being in the Here and Now.
Then we enter the 2nd part.... Editing and finding the images that reflect the here and now that existed at exposure. Editing also means, REPHOTOGRAPHING. You have to edit in the same frame of mind as the capture time.
Many times you find something missed....

So, everything youse are discussing has a very valid place in your own work. There exist no right or wrong, (unless your married to Tanya)... If you keep a perspective on yourself and your work, then anything you are doing becomes a detail of your own process.
My process years ago included working with Leica M's. I have a friend that collects them. He is not a photographer. Never even uses the cameras. He just loves the form and sees them as some kind of object of beauty and desire. If it wasn't for him, I never would have had the great cameras I have. Most came from him. So in a weird sense, he's part of my process...... everything is relative and a means to the end.....

What's your process look like..........?

Back