4x5 Image Thread

Discussion in 'Medium and Large Format Cameras' started by Lawrence A., Mar 27, 2015.

1. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FF Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Larry
    [​IMG] Concord%20woods%20-%20Copy-X2.

I haven't seen any large format yet, and I know there must be people who shoot or have shot sheet film in 4x5 and larger. My best time as a photographer was shooting 4x5 black and white film, so much so that I am seriously considering getting another 4x5 with a couple of lenses. I have the rest of what I need, including good holders for up to 80 sheets of film, and an enlarger and lens to print the negatives. So what am I waiting for? I have to decide what to sell to finance the jump back into a way of shooting that gave me enormous pleasure and satisfaction.

This shot was taken in Concord MA in woods that always gave me at least one good photo. Naturally, I came to love the place. HP was my film, as it almost always was, and the negative was developed in two baths - a 1:15 solution (from stock) of HC110, soaked with light agitation for a minute, then let to sit in a kodalk bath, where the shadows developed more fully than the highlights. Then repeat. Rather than mix pyro for a compensating develper, I tried this method to restrain the highlights in the forest scene and bring the scene as experience into scale. If I remember the negative printed nicely on Grade 3 Portriga of late lamented memory.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FF Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Larry
  3. ajramirez

ajramirez FF Rookie

Mar 26, 2015
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio Ramirez
    The tonality and detail of large format film is just outstanding. And, of course, your work is simply wonderful, Lawrence.

Cheers,

Antonio

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FF Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Larry
    Chaco Canyon

Pueblo%20Bonito%20EPSCN.%201-L.

• Like Like x 1